It’s amazing how many task’s our body accomplish without us even knowing it happened at all. The body is truly an amazing machine, but if we don’t do the little things to take care of it, eventually this fine tuned machine will break down.
FACTS: Posture is basically the position in which you hold your body upright against gravity while standing, sitting or lying down. Good posture involves training your body to stand, walk, sit and lie in positions where the least strain is placed on supporting muscles and ligaments during movement or weight-bearing activities. Proper posture:
- Keeps bones and joints in the correct alignment so that muscles are being used properly.
- Helps decrease the abnormal wearing of joint surfaces that could result in arthritis.
- Prevents the spine from becoming fixed in abnormal positions.
- Prevents fatigue because muscles are being used more efficiently, allowing the body to use less energy.
- Prevents strain or overuse problems.
- Prevents backache and muscular pain.
- Contributes to a good appearance.
REALITY: Everything we do each day is in front of us. Watching TV, working at a desk or computer, and driving all easily allow our bodies to slouch or relax (fall with gravity) into a position that your body is not meant to be in. It takes a conscious effort and energy to be aware of what posture or position your body is in. Yet once you get in the routine of doing it, you just saved yourself years of aches and pains in the future.