How Exercise Can Make You Happier
You might think that spending time in the gym will make you miserable, but the reality is that the opposite is actually true. Various studies have shown that exercising regularly can improve your mood. Here are some reasons why:
- Exercise increases your brain’s dopamine production
- Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that is necessary for feelings of happiness and pleasure. When you exercise, your brain produces more dopamine, leaving you feeling happier and more rewarded.
- Exercise helps you handle stress
- Stress makes it hard to have a positive outlook. If you’re dealing with a lot of stress, you might feel anxious, angry, irritable, or various other negative feelings. You certainly won’t be happy. However, regular exercise can help you handle stress. When you exercise, your body is subjected to low-level stress. By doing this, you get better at handling all kinds of stress. This is how exercise helps you cope with day-to-day stress and feel calmer, more in control, and happier.
- Exercise gives you more energy
- It might sound odd, but moderate exercise actually helps increase your energy and leaves you feeling less tired and sluggish. This can help you feel more upbeat and positive. After all, it’s tough to feel happy when you’re tired.
- Exercise helps you sleep
- If you’re having trouble sleeping or not sleeping enough, you start to feel miserable. When you’re tired, it’s difficult to focus, concentrate, or enjoy life. However, exercise has been shown to improve the quality of sleep. This not only helps you feel more well-rested and alert, but it also makes it easier to get out bed in the morning and start your day, so you’ll feel happier from the moment you wake up.
- Exercise helps you feel good about yourself
- When you’re exercising regularly, you’ll feel proud of your effort and your accomplishments. This pride will carry over into the rest of your life. This won’t just make you happier, but it will help you have more success at work and in your personal life. This success will increase your mood further, so you’ll be happier overall.
As you can see, there are a number of benefits to regular exercise. You’ll have more energy, sleep better, be happier, and more!