Why Footwear is So Important
When it comes to a workout, many people don’t even think about their footwear. A lot of us put on the same sneakers that we’ve worn for years and head to the gym or the track. However, footwear is very important. It’s crucial to wear shoes that fit well, provider proper support, and are designed for the activities, the terrain, and the conditions that you are exercising in.
Here are some reasons why footwear is so important and how to choose the right shoes for your workout.
Good Shoes Help Avoid Blisters and Pain
Wearing shoes that don’t fit properly or that are designed for a different activity (such as wearing basketball shoes to go for a jog, for instance) can leave you with aching feet and ankles. A poor fit or a shoe that doesn’t comfortably support your foot can rub and cause pain due to friction. Ill-fitting shoes can also lead to blisters, bunions, corns, and other pains.
Good Shoes Help Avoid Injury
Wearing the right shoes in the right fit can keep you safe. If your shoes are too large, you could trip and fall. Shoes that are too small could crush your foot or your toes, leading to pain.
If your shoes do not have adequate support, you are more likely to feel various aches and pains in the ball of your foot or your arches. The likelihood of ankle strains and fractures also increases when your shoes don’t fit properly or are in poor condition.
The Right Shoes Improve Performance
Wearing the right footwear helps you exercise for longer, keeps you feeling more comfortable, and improves your performance. Good shoes make it easier to run faster and farther, jump higher, change direction more quickly and much more.
What You Should Look for in a Shoe
When it comes to footwear, here are a few things that you should be looking for:
- The Right Size
- As mentioned, shoes need to fit properly. Go to a store and try on several different shoes in order to get ones that fit correctly. Have the store measure your feet and remember that sizes will fit differently depending on the manufacturer and type of shoe.
- Choose Shoes Based on your Activity
- This means wearing jogging shoes if you’re jogging, hiking boots if you’re hiking, and basketball shoes for playing basketball. Different shoes are designed to support different activities, so wear the right ones for your particular workout.
- Remember to Replace them As Needed
- How often should you replace your footwear? This depends on how often you exercise and the exercises that you do. Check your shoes for wear and damage regularly and replace them if they get worn out or stop providing the support you need.