Starting a Summer Weight Loss Program
The warm weather is here and it’s time to get out there and enjoy yourself. Of course, that also means it’s time to stop hiding behind the bulky sweaters that were your unofficial uniform all winter. But don’t worry. If you’re looking to start a weight loss program and get into better shape this summer, you’re not alone. The winter was long and cold and for many people that lead to inactivity and maybe even some overeating. Now that the warm weather is here, it’s time to shake off the winter and begin your summer weight loss program.
Need some help? Here are a few tips!
Summer Weight Loss Program Tips
If you’re looking to lose weight for the summer, it’s important that you recognize that there is a healthy way to lose weight and an unhealthy way. Weight loss does not mean starving yourself. It’s important that you eat a healthy diet and that you exercise regularly. It is recommended that Canadian adults get at least 2.5 hours of moderate to vigorous physical activity each week in order to stay healthy and maintain a healthy body weight.
When it comes to a healthy diet, Canada’s Food Guide recommends 7-10 servings of vegetables and fruits each day, 6-8 servings of grain products, 2 servings of milk and alternatives and 2-3 servings of meat and alternatives. The exact amounts depend on your gender, age and weight.
If you’re finding it difficult to eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly, here are a few suggestions that may help you out.
- Plan your meals and snacks
- Having a plan and sticking to it will keep you from ordering takeout for dinner or stopping by the vending machine at lunch for an unhealthy snack.
- Read nutrition labels
- When you’re at the grocery store, take a look at the nutrition label on food items before you make a purchase. Look for items that are low in trans fat, sugar and sodium.
- Walk when possible
- A great way to get some extra exercise in your day is to walk whenever possible. Instead of driving to the store, work or school, walk if you can. If it’s too far to walk to work, why not take a walk on your lunch break rather than spending the whole break sitting? Every little bit helps.
- Have someone for support
- Having a friend, family member or personal trainer that you can count on for support and motivation will help you stick to your health and fitness goals and make your summer weight loss program a bigger success!